So this past week was busy mostly because there were a whole bunch of last minute problems to resole, and every resolution to one problem led to causing another. So the first thing we did this week was to use a transparent material to mask out the part of the Black Hole character.
![]() |
| You can't see this part, so why render it? |
The goal was to easily and painlessly mask out some geometry that was clipping due to differences in the number of vertices in the body versus the dress. Because the body had more polygons, it could curve more smoothly than the dress, and the body poked through in a few places.
Sadly, it did not end up being a fast and painless way to fix the problem, because it seems that changing the materials in the model messed up the chaos cloth, even though we were careful not to modify the vertex count.
I also enabled dual-quaternion skinning on our characters this week.
I thought this would be more difficult, but it turns our the plugin that makes it possible was pre-installed by default. What a relief!
Below you can see the artifact we were trying to fix, and the result of applying DQS to the problem. For our particular animation, there was a lot of this candy-wrapper artifact from the motion capture data. Using DQS improved the results a lot.
At this point, we discovered that the star's skinning weights had somehow been corrupted when updating the model, so I had to fix it. Because I had access to the animation, I was able to skin the character as she moved and get much better results than I would have gotten if I had tried to guess how she would twist and bend.






No comments:
Post a Comment